The Rising Writer Contest is for a first full-length book of poetry by an author 33 years old or younger. Autumn House believes in supporting the work of younger, less-established writers who will become the voices of an emerging generation. The submission period opens November 1, 2018 and closes January 31, 2019 (Eastern Time).
The judge for the 2019 contest is poet Stacey Waite.
Guidelines for the 2018 AHP Rising Writer Contest:
- Must be author’s first full-length collection (previous publications of chapbooks or self-published books are fine).
- Authors must be 33 years old or younger in this calendar year.
- The winner will receive book publication, $500 advance against royalties, and a $500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book .
- All finalists will be considered for publication.
- Poetry submissions should be approximately 50-70 pages.
- Contest results will be announced on our website www.autumnhouse.org.
- Please don’t include your name anywhere on the actual MS. Include your name and contact info in the “cover letter” section of Submittable as well as a brief bio. Feel free to include a TOC.
- We only accept electronic submissions through our submission manager.
- $25 reading fee to enter.
Winners of the Rising Writer Contest