Guidelines for the 2020 Rising Writer Contest
The Rising Writer Contest is for a first full-length book of poetry by an author 33 years old or younger. Autumn House believes in supporting the work of younger, less-established writers who will become the voices of an emerging generation.
For the 2020 contest, the Autumn House staff serves as the preliminary readers, and the final judge is Yona Harvey. The winner receives publication of a full-length manuscript and $1,000. The submission period opens November 1, 2019, and closes January 31, 2020 (Eastern Time).
- Must be the author’s first full-length poetry collection (previous publications of chapbooks are fine).
- Authors must be 33 years old or younger in this calendar year
- The winners will receive book publication, $500 advance against royalties, and a $500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book
- All finalists will be considered for publication
- Rising Writer submissions should be approximately 50-80 pages
- The reading fee for the Rising Writer Contest is $25
- Please don’t include your name anywhere on the actual MS
- Include a brief bio in the “cover letter” section of Submittable
- Feel free to include a TOC and acknowledgments page
- Simultaneous submissions permitted
If you have any questions, please check our FAQ page
Winners of the Autumn House Rising Writer Prize
|2019||Eric Tran||The Gutter Spread Guide to Prayer||Stacey Waite|
|2018||S. Brook Corfman||Luxury, Blue Lace||Richard Siken|
|2017||Cameron Barnett||The Drowning Boy’s Guide to Water||Ada Limón|