Guidelines for the 2018 Autumn House Fiction Contest
For the 2019 contest, the Autumn House staff serves as the preliminary readers, and the final judge is Aimee Bender. The winner receives publication of a full-length manuscript and $2,500. The submission period opens January 1, 2019, and closes June 30, 2019 (Eastern Time). If you have any questions, please check our FAQs page!
- The winners will receive book publication, $1,000 advance against royalties, and a $1,500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book.
- All finalists will be considered for publication.
- Fiction submissions should be approximately 200-300 pages. All fiction sub-genres (short stories, short-shorts, novellas, or novels) or any combination of sub-genres are eligible.
- Contest results will be announced on our website www.autumnhouse.org.
- Please don’t include your name anywhere on the actual MS.
- Include your name and contact info in the “cover letter” section of Submittable as well as a brief bio. Feel free to include a TOC.
Winners of the Autumn House Fiction Prize:
|2017||Glori Simmons||Carry You||Amina Gautier|
|2016||Andrew Bourelle||Heavy Metal||William Lychack|
|2015||Kathy Anderson||Bull and Other Stories||Sharon Dilworth|
|2014||Mark Brazaitis||Truth Poker||Sharon Dilworth|
|2013||Tom Noyes||Come by Here||Kathleen George|
|2012||Sarah Gerkensmeyer||What You Are Now Enjoying||Stewart O’Nan|
|2011||Sharma Shields||Favorite Monster||Stewart O’Nan|
|2010||Ashley Cowger||Peter Never Came||Sharon Dilworth|
|2009||Matthew Pitt||Attention Please Now||Sharon Dilworth|
|2008||Samuel Ligon||Drift and Swerve||Sharon Dilworth|