Autumn House Press publishes 9 books of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction each year. We accept manuscripts through our annual contests and our open-call reading period.
Though we are open to all styles of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction, we suggest you familiarize yourself with previous Autumn House publications before submitting your work. We are committed not just to publishing the prominent voices of our age, but also to publishing first books and lesser-known authors who will become the important writers of their generation. We encourage writers from all backgrounds to submit; it is our goal at Autumn House to develop a rich and varied literary tradition.
Please do not mail or email submissions outside of our designated reading periods. The manuscripts will not be read.
If you have any questions, please check our FAQs page!
A Note on Publishing with Autumn House
At Autumn House, we see our relationships with our authors as partnerships. In that spirit, we work closely with our authors and support them in as many ways as we can, both during the editorial process and well beyond the book’s release. Starting in January 2020, Autumn House Press will offer all authors:
- 35 authors copies from the first print run, 15 author copies from any additional print runs
- 8 percent royalties on print titles and 15 percent on digital*
- 50 percent discount when purchasing additional copies of your title; 40 percent off any additional AHP titles
- Distribution through the University of Chicago Press
- 30 print galleys sent to major reviewer outlets 5-6 months prior to publication
- At least 20 finished review copies sent to reviewers and review outlets 1-3 months prior to publication; this list will be compiled with input from the author
- A post-publication prize package
- Book advertisements in prestigious journals such as Prairie Schooner, American Poetry Review, Women’s Review of Books, and more
- Support and guidance with the promotion of the title
- A pledge that your title will never go out of print
* royalties are paid on sales that are 50% of list price or greater, excluding author purchases
- Autumn House Full-Length Contests (Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction): Winners of each contest receive publication of their full-length manuscripts. Each winner also receives $2,500 ($1,000 advance against royalties and a $1,500 travel/publicity grant to promote the book). The submission period opens January 1 and closes June 30 (Eastern Time). To submit online, please visit our online submission manager. The judges for the 2020 full-length contests are Ilya Kaminsky (poetry), Dan Chaon (fiction), and Jaquira Díaz (nonfiction).
- Autumn House Poetry Chapbook Contest: The winner receives publication and $1,000 advance against royalties. The submission period opens August 1 and closes on November 1. To submit online, please visit our online submission manager. The judge for the 2019 Chapbook Contest is Gerry LaFemina.
- The Rising Writer Contest: This contest is for a first full-length book of poetry by an author 33 years old or younger. In addition to publication, the winner also receives $1,000 ($500 advance against royalties and a $500 travel/publicity grant to promote the book). The submission period opens November 1 and closes January 31 of the following year (Eastern Time). To submit online please visit our online submission manager. The judge for the 2020 Rising Writer Contest is Yona Harvey.
Autumn House will accept full-length manuscripts in all genres for publication consideration from September 1, 2020, to November 1, 2020 (or we reach 300 manuscripts). We especially encourage hybrid manuscripts or manuscripts that don’t quite fit our full-length contest guidelines. The 2019 reading period is closed.