Autumn House Press offers three-month internships during the summer, spring, and fall. These are unpaid positions, but the intern will gain valuable experience in the day-to-day functions of the independent publishing industry, as well as in fundraising and nonprofit management. Interns will receive complimentary copies of Autumn House titles and travel reimbursement. We can coordinate schedules with the academic school year and offer college credit.
The duties will vary according to the needs of the Press, but they may include areas of editorial, clerical, shipping, sales, publicity, or community organizing. The intern is expected to be reliable, punctual, show attention to detail, and work creatively and collegially with all staff and board members. We ask that interns commit to working 12 hours each week, but we are flexible with scheduling.
- Proofreading and copyediting
- Reading submissions in all genres
- Receiving, recording, and processing book orders and returns
- Assist with bank deposits, shipping and mailings, data entry as related to book sales, and other administrative activities as needed
- Attend readings, author events, and special events
Autumn House looks for graduate or undergraduate interns who are enrolled in relevant programs of study and/or with relevant experience in publishing, editing, grant writing, and business.
To apply, please send a resume or CV as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer Interns (Jun-Aug) Apply by April 1st
- Fall Interns (Sept-Dec) Apply by July 1st
- Spring Interns (Jan-April) Apply by Nov 1st
Autumn House Press accepts volunteer readers to screen for our annual poetry, fiction, and nonfiction contests. The contest is open from January 1– June 30. Volunteers can specify a particular genre of interest and work flexible hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree in literature or creative writing
- Experience with a literary journal, magazine, or press
- Access to a computer (readers will use our online submission manager, Submittable)
- Strong reading and writing skills
- A knowledge of Autumn House’s aesthetic
- The ability to work and manage time independently
This is an unpaid position and volunteers will not be given college credit but will receive gratis copies of the contest winning books.
To apply, please send a resume or CV as an attachment to email@example.com.
Autumn House looks for experienced and talented freelance designers to work with us on full-length book projects and promotional materials. For books, we require designers to do both cover design and interior text layouts. Previous book design experience is required. Designers must be communicative, punctual, and detail oriented. Designers must work within the agreed upon production schedule, though the exact hours are flexible.
- Experience with book design, both in cover design and interior layout
- The ability to work independently and efficiently
- Access to the appropriate software and design programs
- A familiarity with Autumn House’s aesthetic
To apply, please send a resume or CV as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as a portfolio or website of creative work.