Autumn House’s name has been compromised and is being used by unauthorized individuals in order to reach out to consumers with job offers to gain their personal information. We are currently not hiring and strongly suggest you do not give your personal information to anyone.
Autumn House Press offers four-month internships during the summer, spring, and fall. These are unpaid positions, but the intern will gain valuable experience in the day-to-day functions of the independent publishing industry, as well as in fundraising and nonprofit management. Interns will receive complimentary copies of Autumn House titles and travel reimbursement. We can coordinate schedules with the academic school year and offer college credit.
The duties will vary according to the needs of the press, but they may include areas of editorial, clerical, shipping, sales, publicity, or community organizing. The intern is expected to be reliable, punctual, show attention to detail, and work creatively and collegially with all staff members. We ask that interns commit to working 10 hours each week, but we are flexible with scheduling.
NB: We will continue to offer remote internships throughout 2022.
- Proofreading and copyediting
- Reading submissions in all genres
- Customer service
- Assist with bank deposits, shipping and mailings, and data entry
- Attend readings, author events, and special events
Autumn House looks for graduate or undergraduate interns who are enrolled in relevant programs of study and/or with relevant experience in publishing, editing, grant writing, and business.
To apply, please submit your resume through our submission manager, Submittable. Please note: we only accept 15 applications per submission period, so be sure to submit your resume as soon as possible.
- Summer Interns (May-August) Apply between February 1 – March 1
- Fall Interns (September-December) Apply between June 1 – July 1
- Spring Interns (January-April) Apply between October 1 – November 1
Autumn House Press accepts volunteer readers to screen on a rolling basis. This is an unpaid position and volunteers will not be given college credit (unless volunteer hours are stipulated as a component of a course) but will receive gratis copies of the prize-winning books.
- MFA (or MFA-in-progress) preferred but will accept a Bachelor’s Degree in literature or creative writing
- Experience with a literary journal, magazine, or press is preferred
- Access to a computer (readers will use our online submission manager, Submittable)
- Strong reading and writing skills
- A knowledge of Autumn House’s aesthetic
- The ability to work and manage time independently
To apply, please send a resume or CV as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please specify what genre and reading period you are hoping to volunteer for and how many hours per week you’d like to volunteer.