Guidelines for the 2018 Autumn House Poetry Contest
For the 2018 contest, the preliminary judges are members of the Autumn House staff, and the final judge is Kimiko Hahn. The winner will be awarded publication of a full-length manuscript and $2,500. The submission period opens January 1, 2018 and closes June 30, 2018 (Eastern Time). If you have any questions, please check our FAQs page!
- The winner will receive book publication, $1,000 advance against royalties, and a $1,500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book.
- All finalists will be considered for publication.
- Poetry submissions should be approximately 50-80 pages.
- Contest results will be announced on our website www.autumnhouse.org.
- Please don’t include your name anywhere on the actual MS. Include your name and contact info in the “cover letter” section of Submittable as well as a brief bio. Feel free to include a TOC.
- We no longer accept paper submissions.
Winners of the Autumn House Poetry Prize:
|2017||Melissa Cundieff Pexa||Darling Nova||Alberto Ríos|
|2016||Jane Satterfield||Apocalypse Mix||David St. John|
|2015||Brian Swann||St. Francis and the Flies||Dorianne Laux|
|2014||Ellery Akers||Practicing the Truth||Alicia Ostriker|
|2013||Danusha Lameris||The Moons of August||Naomi Shihab Nye|
|2012||Chelsea Rathburn||A Raft of Grief||Stephen Dunn|
|2011||Brian Brodeur||Natural Causes||Denise Duhamel|
|2010||Corrinne Clegg Hales||To Make It Right||Claudia Emerson|
|2009||Jacqueline Berger||The Gift that Arrives Broken||Alicia Ostriker|
|2008||Mary Crockett Hill||A Theory of Everything||Naomi Shihab Nye|
|2007||Miriam Levine||The Dark Opens||Mark Doty|
|2006||Nancy Pagh||No Sweeter Fat||Tim Seibles|
|2005||Ada Limon||lucky wreck||Jean Valentine|
|2004||Ruth L. Schwartz||Dear Good Naked Morning||Alicia Ostriker|
|2003||Deborah Slicer||The White Calf Kicks||Naomi Shihab Nye|