Guidelines for the 2017 Autumn House Nonfiction Contest
For the 2017 contest, the preliminary judges are members of the Autumn House staff, and the final judge is Alison Hawthorne Deming. The winner will be awarded publication of a full-length manuscript and $2,500. The submission period opens January 1, 2017 and the postmark deadline for entries is June 30, 2017. For further questions, feel free to email us.
- The winner will receive book publication, $1,000 advance against royalties, and a $1,500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book.
- All finalists will be considered for publication.
- Nonfiction submissions should be approximately 200-300 pages. All nonfiction subjects (including personal essays, memoirs, travel writing, historical narratives, nature or science writing…) or any combination of subjects are eligible.
- Contest results will be announced on our website www.autumnhouse.org.
- Please include with manuscript: Cover letter with all current contact information (name, address, phone number, and email address), table of contents, and acknowledgments of previously published chapters/essays. (Paper submissions should also include SASE. If you would like to confirm that your manuscript has been received, please also include a stamped postcard that requests acknowledgement of receipt. We cannot email or call to let you know your ms was received.)
- Autumn House Press assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts.
- All entries must be clearly marked “Nonfiction Prize” on the outside envelope.
- Thirty dollar handling fee (check or money order) must be enclosed.
- MANUSCRIPTS WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
- Send manuscript and $30.00 fee to:
Autumn House Press
PO Box 5486
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
|2016||Katherine McCord||RUN SCREAM UNBURY SAVE||Michael Martone|
|2015||Harrison Candelaria Fletcher||Presentimiento||Dinty W. Moore|
|2014||Jill Kandel||So Many Africas||Dinty W. Moore|
|2013||Adam Patric Miller||A Greater Monster||Phillip Lopate|
|2012||Clifford Thompson||Love for Sale and Other Essays||Phillip Lopate|