Guidelines for the 2017 Autumn House Fiction Contest
For the 2017 contest, the preliminary judges are members of the Autumn House staff, and the final judge is Amina Gautier. The winner will be awarded publication of a full-length manuscript and $2,500. The submission period opens January 1, 2017 and the postmark deadline for entries is June 30, 2017. For further questions, feel free to email us.
- The winners will receive book publication, $1,000 advance against royalties, and a $1,500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book.
- All finalists will be considered for publication.
- Fiction submissions should be approximately 200-300 pages. All fiction sub-genres (short stories, short-shorts, novellas, or novels) or any combination of sub-genres are eligible.
- Contest results will be announced on our website www.autumnhouse.org.
- Please include with manuscript: Cover letter with all current contact information (name, address, phone number, and email address), table of contents, and acknowledgments of previously published chapters/stories. (Paper submissions should also include SASE. If you would like to confirm that your manuscript has been received, please also include a stamped postcard that requests acknowledgement of receipt. We cannot email or call to let you know your ms was received.)
- Autumn House Press assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts.
- All entries must be clearly marked “Fiction Prize” on the outside envelope.
- Thirty dollar handling fee (check or money order) must be enclosed.
- MANUSCRIPTS WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
- Send manuscript and $30.00 fee to:
Autumn House Press
PO Box 5486
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Winners of the Autumn House Fiction Prize:
|2016||Andrew Bourelle||Heavy Metal||William Lychack|
|2015||Kathy Anderson||Bull and Other Stories||Sharon Dilworth|
|2014||Mark Brazaitis||Truth Poker||Sharon Dilworth|
|2013||Tom Noyes||Come by Here||Kathleen George|
|2012||Sarah Gerkensmeyer||What You Are Now Enjoying||Stewart O’Nan|
|2011||Sharma Shields||Favorite Monster||Stewart O’Nan|
|2010||Ashley Cowger||Peter Never Came||Sharon Dilworth|
|2009||Matthew Pitt||Attention Please Now||Sharon Dilworth|
|2008||Samuel Ligon||Drift and Swerve||Sharon Dilworth|